When a tooth becomes severely damaged, it can be challenging to know what to do. There are a few options for repairing severely damaged teeth. Still, it is essential to consult with a dentist or dental professional to find the best solution for your specific case. Dr. Sukhman Panag-Virk of Casa Dental in Escondido, CA can assist patients in evaluating their unique situation and providing a customized treatment option that fits their needs and budget. It is always a great idea to learn about the various solutions that can be used to choose the best one.
Options for repairing cracked or severely damaged teeth
• Dental crowns. One option for repairing a severely damaged tooth is a dental crown. A dental crown is a cap placed over the tooth to restore its shape and size. A dental crown can be made from ceramic, gold, or another material compatible with your teeth.
• Dental fillings. Another option for repairing a tooth with significant damage is a dental filling. A dental filling is used to fill in the hole in the tooth where the enamel has been lost. Dental fillings can be made from various materials, such as gold or composite resin.
• Composite resin bonding. For less severe issues, such as small chips or cracks, the dentist may be able to restore the tooth using composite resin bonding. This is a unique material used to reshape or restore a tooth. It is placed, cured, hardened, filed, and polished to look just like natural tooth enamel. Composite resin, also referred to as dental bonding, can address minor cosmetic imperfections, including gaps between teeth, chipped teeth, and even misaligned teeth in the smile.
• Porcelain veneers. Another solution may be that of porcelain veneers. These thin facings can be used for cracked tooth repair in Escondido, CA. They are fabricated to match the patient’s smile and bonded onto the tooth’s front to change its appearance. Porcelain veneers can also disguise imperfections, including stained teeth, gapped teeth, or misaligned teeth.
• Dental bridges. Other options for repairing a severely damaged tooth include all-porcelain bridges. These restorations are not made from metal. Instead, they are created from porcelain or another material designed to look similar to natural teeth. Bridges work the same way as crowns – they fill in a hole left by a missing tooth and hold one or more false teeth in place. These are often used when patients need to have a tooth extracted and restore function and beauty afterward.
How does a tooth become severely damaged?
A tooth can become severely damaged for any number of reasons, including:
• Large areas of decay
• Chips and cracks of the tooth
• Large fillings placed in the past that have substantially affected the tooth structure and integrity
• Wearing from certain conditions such as bruxism, which can cause clenching and grinding of the teeth
To determine the best treatment option for severely damaged teeth, it is best to contact Dr. Sukhman Panag-Virk of Casa Dental to schedule an evaluation and discuss possible solutions to bring the smile back to health–and proper function!
How can I learn more about treatment for damaged teeth?
It is important to consult your dentist or dental professional for severely damaged teeth to find the best solution for you. Dr. Sukhman Panag-Virk of Casa Dental is a dentist in the Escondido area who can provide dental fillings and other cracked tooth repairs for patients in the area. Call (760) 735-3000 to request an appointment with our team, conveniently located at 727 East Ohio Avenue and available for new and returning patients.